My Top 10 Favorite Essential Oils
We have all heard the buzz on essential oils and how they can help you or your family with common concerns such as colds, allergies, inflammation, infection, pain or sleeping. But what exactly are these essential oils, and can they really help as well as prescription medications or over-the-counter drugs?
WHAT ARE ESSENTIAL OILS
Essential oils are natural aromatic compounds found in various parts of plants and herbs. These oils are the immune system of the plant, a
nd without the oils, the plants would die. These same oils can help with many types of health concerns within our family too, including emotional issues, illnesses, infections, pain and allergies. Essential oils are 50-70 times more potent than the herbs themselves, so they can be extremely powerful.
As with any type of herb or natural medicine, make sure you are using only the highest quality essential oil on the market. doTERRA essential oils use third party testing to ensure the quality, purity and potency of their oils. doTERRA is one of the only companies that provides certified therapeutic grade oils. doTERRA ensures that their oils have no added fillers and that there is no traces of pesticides, herbicides or other harmful ingredients.
So now that you know how to choose certified pure therapeutic grade oils, lets talk about the top 10 essential oils to have in your oil cabinet.
TOP 10 ESSENTIAL OILS TO HAVE IN YOUR OIL CABINET
Lemon essential oil has multiple benefits and uses. Lemon is cleansing, purifying and invigorating, making it one of the most versatile essential oils.
- highly antibacterial, which makes it a powerful cleansing agent that can cleanse and purify the air and surfaces, and can be used as a non-toxic cleaner throughout the entire home.
- can be added to water and taken internally to provide a refreshing and healthy boost throughout the day.
- provides cleansing and digestive benefits and helps to support a healthy respiratory function.
- frequently added to drinks and food to enhance flavor.
- When diffused or used aromatically, Lemon is uplifting and energizing and has been shown to dramatically improve mood.
Melalueca has been known as one of the most beneficial and useful essential oils for years. Melaleuca can be used to treat almost any common ailment.
- can help with treating dandruff by adding a few drops in your shampoo.
- can also be added into shampoo to prevent, repel and even kill lice.
- Highly antibacterial and works well as a natural disinfectant in the home.
- antifungal and antimicrobial, so it can be used topically to treatnail fungus, Warts, athletes foot or ringworm fungus, cold sores, and facial blemishes or acne
Lavender, with its light, floral and powdery aroma, is a universal oil that is great for almost everything.
- helps to reduce stress and anxiety, and is often used for calming and sleep and has been shown to relieve insomnia. Two to 3 drops of lavender can be diluted with a carrier oil such as Fractionated Coconut oil and massaged into the feet, or added to a hot, relaxing bath, to help with anxiety and to promote a more restful night’s sleep, or add a few drops of Lavender to pillows and linens.
- can be used for sunburn, bug bites, burns and bruises, because of its soothing qualities for the skin.
- can help take the pain out of any allergic reaction on the skin from things such as bee stings, ant bites, mosquito bites and hives, because it is such a powerful antihistamine.
- an effective disinfectant for minor cuts and scrapes and can be applied neat to any bite or skin irritation, or to a cut or scrape.
- can be taken internally to reduce anxious feelings, by diluting one drop in 4 fluid ounces of liquid.
The Peppermint plant is a hybrid of the watermint and spearmint plant. The high menthol content of the doTERRA Peppermint essential oil sets it apart from others when it comes to its quality, making it a favorite oil to many.
- can help to alleviate bad breath and promote better oral hygiene, and can be used, along with organic coconut oil and baking soda, to make a non-toxic toothpaste, or can be added to water with Lemon essential oil for a healthy, refreshing mouth wash.
- can help to alleviate occasional stomach upset by diluting 1 drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid, or with using 1-2 drops diluted with fractionated coconut oil and massaged into the abdomen area. One to 2 drops can be added to a veggie capsule and taken to alleviate stomach upset.
- Assists with promoting a healthy respiratory function and clear breathing and can be diffused as needed when the respiratory system needs support, due to a cold or seasonal allergy threats.
- Placing a drop of peppermint in the palm of your hand and taking deep inhales, can support more clear breathing, and also gives a nice pick-me-up feeling as well.
DigestZen is the perfect oil to help soothe the occasional upset stomach, aid in the digestion of food, and to reduce bloating and gas. DigestZen is commonly used for heartburn and indigestion, along with any other sour stomach issues. DigestZen is commonly known as doTERRA's "tummy tamer" blend, due to its ability to soothe stomach issues, and to maintain overall digestive health. DigestZen has a unique blend of oils, including Ginger, Fennel and Coriander, which assist with easing occasional stomach discomfort and indigestion, while its other oils of Peppermint, Tarragon, Anise and Caraway, will aid with digestion and assist with maintaining a healthy gastrointestinal tract.
- Add 2-3 drops of DigestZen to water to take internally, when upset stomach occurs, or dilute 2-3 drops with doTERRA fractionated coconut oil, and massage into the stomach and abdomen area.
- Add 2 drops to water or tea, daily, to assist with maintaining a healthy gastrointestinal tract
- Keep DigestZen on hand when traveling to help ease motion sickness
ONGUARD PROTECTIVE BLEND
doTERRA OnGuard protective blend is a blend with a warm, woody and spicy aroma. OnGuard protective blend provides a natural and effective alternative for immune system support. With its blend of essential oils Clove Bud, Wild Orange Peel, Cinnamon Bark/Leaf, Eucalyptus and Rosemary Leaf/Flower, the OnGuard blend supports the body's natural antioxidant defenses and helps to protect against environmental threats. OnGuard protects against environmental threats with these essential oils that are known for their positive effects on the immune system.
- OnGuard can be taken internally daily, by adding 2-3 drops in a veggie capsule, for an immune boost and to support a healthy cardiovascular function.
- Soak sliced apples in water and a few drops of OnGuard, for a healthy, immune boosting snack
- Dilute 2-3 drops of OnGuard with doTERRA fractionated coconut oil and massage into bottoms of feet
- OnGuard blend contains cleansing and purifying properties
doTERRA Deep Blue is perfect for a soothing massage after a long day of work. Wintergreen, Camphor, Peppermint, Ylang Ylang, Helichrysum, Blue Tansy, Blue Chamomile, and Osmanthus work together to soothe and cool. After long hours on the computer, try rubbing Deep Blue proprietary blend on your fingers, wrists, shoulders, and neck. A few drops of Deep Blue Soothing Blend diluted in Fractionated Coconut Oil can be part of a cooling and comforting massage.
- •Apply on feet and knees before and after exercise.
- •Massage Deep Blue with a few drops of carrier oil onto growing kids’ legs before bedtime.
- •Rub Deep Blue on lower back muscles after a day of heavy lifting at work or during a move.
- Topical use: Apply to desired area. Dilute with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.
Renowned as one of the most prized and precious essential oils, Frankincense has extraordinary health benefits. In addition to its notoriety in the New Testament, the Babylonians and Assyrians would burn Frankincense in religious ceremonies and the ancient Egyptians used Frankincense resin for everything from perfume to salves for soothing skin. This centuries-old knowledge contributes to the modern uses of Frankincense today. It’s soothing and beautifying properties are used to rejuvenate skin and help reduce the appearance of imperfections. As the king of oils, Frankincense is known to support healthy cellular function.
- When inhaled or diffused, Frankincense promotes feelings of peace, relaxation, satisfaction, and overall wellness.
- Rub Frankincense on your hands after a long day of gardening for a warming and soothing effect.
- Helps reduce the appearance of skin imperfections.
- Can be applied to the bottoms of feet to promote feelings of relaxation and to balance mood.
- Take one to two drops in a veggie capsule to support healthy cellular function.*
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid.
Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.
doTERRA Breathe is a remarkable blend of essential oils including Laurel Leaf, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca, Lemon, Ravensara, and Cardamom. doTERRA Breathe maintains feelings of clear airways and easy breathing while minimizing the effects of seasonal threats. doTERRA Breathe can be applied topically to the chest, back, or bottom of feet, or diffused at nighttime to calm the senses and promote a restful sleep.
- Diffuse, inhale directly from palms, or rub on chest or feet when seasonal and environmental threats are high.
- Use when outdoors to minimize the effects of seasonal threats.
- Diffuse at bedtime for a restful night’s sleep.
- Diffuse or inhale directly from palms, or rub on chest when environmental threats are high.
Oregano is one of the most potent and powerful essential oils and has been used for centuries in traditional health practices for its cleansing and immune-boosting properties.* The primary chemical components of Oregano are carvacol and thymol, both in the phenols group, which possess cleansing and antioxidant properties.
Due to its high phenol content, caution should be taken when inhaling or diffusing Oregano; only one to two drops is needed. Additionally, Oregano should be diluted with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil when applied to the skin. One drop taken daily can help maintain healthy immune function; Oregano can be taken more frequently when seasonal threats are high or as needed to further support the immune system.
In addition to being a popular cooking spice, Oregano also supports healthy digestion.
Oregano acts as an enhancer and equalizer in essential oil blends and can help support healthy respiratory function when taken internally.
- Take one drop daily to maintain healthy immune function.*
- Add one to two drops to a veggie capsule to support healthy respiratory function.*
- Put one drop in place of dried oregano in spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, or on a roast.
- Put 10 drops in a 16-ounce spray bottle with water for a surface cleaner
Would you like to set up your own wholesale account with doTERRA and receive up to 55% off all of your products. Email me and I'll help you get started!